The Optics Engineer is focused on the design, conception, and development of optical products, including Laser Eye Protection (LEP) devices. Expert in design of optical systems, characterization of spectroscopic and geometric optics, and data acquisition of active optical components. Ability to model optical systems for the design of the optimal function based on physical and geometric optics. Close engagement with internal engineering team and external partners to design, develop and manufacture state-of-the-art eyewear for use in military applications ranging from variable light transmission, laser eye protection and visual display applications. Leads and coordinates at the project level the technical development of optical components and measurement devices.
· Lead the development of new optical devices and measurement techniques.
· Develop, set-up and run measurements of optical components using lasers (mapping of optical density, optical power).
· Model optical systems for the optimal design of eyewear for targeted optical, mechanical and fitting performances.
· Establish the links between the modeled design and the performances of the final product through characterization, data acquisition, and build relationship between optical characteristics, materials and fabrication processes.
· Problem Solving: identify complex problems; display a systematic approach to resolution using data-driven analysis / decision making; follow-through actions through implementation and validation.
· Ability to develop understanding of complex and evolving processes as required to lead, implement, and sustain systems improvements.
· Develop and conduct R&D experiments for product and process improvement, as well as new products.
· Document experimental work and capitalize knowledge to help transitioning products from development to production.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific, technical journals and understanding of mathematical concepts such as probabilities, statistics.
· Possess effective communication and presentation skills.
· Lead technical projects and interface with internal and external customers.
EDUCATION AND/OR PROFESSIONAL LICENSE(s):
The successful candidate must possess a Master’s degree (M. S.) in Physics, Chemistry, Engineering or related technical discipline; or 15 years in engineering/R&D environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Five (5) to ten (10) years of engineering experience in optical systems. Prior experience with geometric optics, optical system modeling, laser / matter interaction, laser densitometry, data acquisition, optical characterization, statistical analysis, Research and Development techniques are desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Skilled in optics measurements and spectroscopy
Skilled in geometric optics and optical system modeling (Zemax)
Excellent oral and written communication
Proficiency in MS Office Suite and MS Project
Knowledge of statistical techniques
Experience with 3D CAD package (SolidWorks preferred)
For 125, we have made products that don't just push the limits of industry standards, but routinely outperform them. Click below to view our historical timeline, which celebrates the key innovations and activities that have helped us advance the performance capability of our products and keep our customers safe in intense environments.