Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that stands among the world's most renowned education institutions. With ground-breaking brain science, path-breaking performances, creative start-ups, big data, big ambitions, hands-on learning, and a whole lot of robots. CMU doesn't imagine the future, we invent it. If you're passionate about joining a community that challenges the curious to deliver work that matters, your journey starts here!
The Computing Services central IT department provides services that have strategic impact on University goals. We make service decisions that are informed by interaction and valuable input from colleagues who are engaged in the education, research, and administration efforts of the University. We are a learning organization that approaches successes and mistakes as a learning experience to create a culture of intelligent risk taking. We hire versatile team members who are inspired and passionate about their work. Join us and be part of a team committed to excellence, innovation, diversity, and individual growth.
We are searching for a Senior Manager to lead our Linux Engineering team. You will be responsible for managing technical, operational and project related work in addition to collaborating with leadership to set work priorities and strategic direction. In addition to managerial responsibilities, this position will perform technical work to support delivery of essential infrastructure and/or services to the University community.
- Manage a team of highly skilled Linux engineers
- Oversee the operations of the Linux infrastructure
- Coordinate cross-functional team initiatives with other managers and directors
- Coordinate strategic technology direction with senior leadership; assess architectural alignment with strategic goals
- Maintain business continuity, disaster recovery, risk management plans
- Maintain expert knowledge of the technology stack, industry trends, and the opportunity landscape
- Mentor staff, negotiate career goals
- Orchestrate and oversee security or outage incident response; post-mortem evaluations
- Oversee project commitments and coordinate resource allocation; report status to leadership and stakeholders
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Provide technical consultations to serve internal consumers
- Review team technical documentation; document systems design and change management processes
- Other duties as assigned
Inclusion and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
This is a great opportunity for someone to work in a creative, dedicated, driven team, in a collaborative environment committed to technical innovation, inclusion, and work-life balance.
- Bachelor's Degree; Master's Degree preferred
- 5-8 years relevant work experience
- Mastery in a technology discipline (i.e., systems/software engineering, systems engineering, network engineering or IT infrastructure) and in managing IT staff.
- A combination of education and relevant experience from which comparable knowledge is demonstrated may be considered.
- Successful background check
- RedHat Enterprise Linux
- RedHat Satellite
- Puppet Enterprise
- VMWare and VSphere
- Amazon Web Services systems provisioning
- Git version control
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tooling
- Common authorization, authentication, and encryption systems such as Kerberos, LDAP, SSH keys, API tokens, TLS
- Technical documentation with MediaWiki, Git, Markdown
- Logging, monitoring, alerting, and analysis solutions
- Technical environment security hardening strategies
- Understanding of network architectures and security countermeasures
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance