The Server Administrator II position is a member of the Systems Engineering and Architecture team that leads the planning, design, and engineering of enterprise-level Datacenter, Server, Storage, and Cloud Computing Environments. Server Administrators are responsible for installing, maintaining, monitoring, testing, and troubleshooting hosted computing environments. Server Administrators must have effective communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with clients and other technical colleagues. Server Administrators work across all functional areas of the organization and use a strong customer service orientation to ensure the resolution of service requests and incidents. The Server Administrator II position typically requires a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant industry experience in Desktop Engineering, Desktop Administration, Systems Engineering, or Systems Administration.
Duties include: 1. Engineering – Gathers requirements and designs solutions for difficult technology problems. Leads small to medium enterprise-level projects or large departmental projects that require software, virtual or physical computing devices or platforms. Contributes to project teams that need a high-level of systems engineering and architecture support. Collaborates with other technology experts to come up with pragmatic architectures that meet the needs of the university. Assists in the development of short and long-term plans, including business continuity, remote access, desktop standardization and security.
2. Administration – Provides support for software systems including testing, debugging, installing, upgrading, maintaining, and administering large or complex end user computing environments leveraging both traditional on premise as well as cloud software technologies. Acts as secondary support for others. Leads the documentation and maintenance of the policies, procedures, and standardizations for a complex end user computing environments, leveraging the use of software, server, and storage, both on and off premise. Maintains security and ensures compliance with University policies and procedures. Proactively monitors end user computing performance and mitigates issues when they arise. Ensures vendors are adhering to contract requirements and notifies management when requirements are not being met. Coordinates resources and communications during end user computing device and management platform maintenance or outages.
3. Process improvement – Enhances, simplifies, and optimizes existing system components. Develops scalable strategies for automation; creates templates and scripts to simplify and streamline routine tasks. Identifies opportunities to improve efficiency, quality, or service through cross-team collaboration; facilitates communication and process changes to realize those opportunities. Evaluates current business practices to improve productivity, reduce costs and make the best use of business resources. Reviews changes done by peers and less experienced team members through validation and peer review.
4. Mentoring and Research – Mentors peers. Researches physical desktop, virtual desktop, end user computing device, on-prem management platforms, cloud management platforms, industry trends and presents findings to the leadership and other IT teams as necessary. Identifies best practices and recommends changes to standards and practices that can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the desktop systems engineering team.
5. Other duties as assigned.
This position is being posted in conjunction with the Server Administrator III position (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/36346). Only one (1) position will be filled. The university is posting both positions to ensure a sufficient applicant pool to fill this need. The hiring department will first consider applicants from the higher-level position. If the applicant pool does not yield a successful candidate, the applicant pool from the lower-level position will then be evaluated. Applicants are encouraged to apply for either or both positions based on their qualifications and interest.
Position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, apply by posting end date.
We seek candidates with a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse background.
Please complete the online application and attach required documents. Required documents include a detailed cover letter, resume, and a list of at least three (3) professional references with current contact details, including email addresses.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or relevant, equivalent number of years of industry experience • 1 year relevant work experience • Experience with Administering and/or Engineering Linux Server Environments
Additional Salary Information:
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Employees also enjoy a generous benefits package including health benefits, paid time off, and education benefits for employees and qualified dependents.