CrossComm builds custom software solutions for clients in a number of different industries and we are seeking a Lead Backend Developer. This developer's efforts will be focused on backend and they must also be able to lead small teams in building and supporting complete software ecosystems that typically include other disciplines such as mobile and web. They will also serve as a backend development resource on projects led by other Lead Developers.
They will have the ability to continuously prioritize tasks and have a consistent track record of delivering complete, well-architected results.
They will balance creative, reliable engineering with high quality and client focus. They must be able to work across multiple facets of projects and manage multiple responsibilities at the same time. They are also expected to assist with mentoring junior developers' and staff engineers' coding and technical problem-solving skills through code reviews and pair programming.
Ultimately, a Lead Backend Developer provides high quality custom software solutions to clients by discovering and understanding client needs, utilizing company operations, leading software projects, technically developing the software team, and exercising excellent software engineering skills. They are self-motivated to expand technical and professional skills, foster a collaborative team environment, and communicate clearly and effectively with all company team members.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Has a working understanding of design patterns and architecture; understands what makes software testable and maintainable and includes these principles in the work
• Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with project stakeholders; studying client systems' flow and work processes; identifying and investigating problem areas
• Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clean code
• Updates job knowledge by studying the latest development tools and programming techniques; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; participating in professional organizations
• Conveys requirements to team members
• Gathers requirements through client interaction; breaks down technical details for non-technical stakeholders
• Effectively and proactively reports status to Software Architect, Project Manager/ Client Engagement Manager, and CEO
• Provides statuses and concerns to client stakeholders
• Conveys expertise in a way that takes into account the context and level of understanding of the recipient
• Provides constructive feedback during project/technical retrospectives for improving internal company operations and processes
• Effectively follows established client communication channels
Project Management Component
• Employs technical expertise to lay the groundwork for effective project management by breaking requirements into tasks, defining task dependencies, and fleshing requirements for individual tasks
• Assists CEO, Software Architect, and Project Manager/Client Engagement Manager to determine operational feasibility through analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and solution proposal
• Familiar with basic, formal project management concepts
• Provides technical background input while collaboratively generating project estimates/ rough orders of magnitude with the Project Manager/Client Engagement Manager
• Assists Project Manager with monitoring the budget/estimate of a project, taking into account remaining work versus remaining budget
• Adapts leadership style to leverage team members' motivations and strengths while helping them to overcome weaknesses
• Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching, and educational opportunities
• Works collaboratively with others to achieve goals
• Makes informed decisions quickly and takes ownership of technology choices, project pace, and direction
• Writes blog posts, makes presentations at conferences and meetups, and provides thought leadership to the public
• Any additional tasks and/or responsibilities assigned by immediate supervisor
• 4-5 years professional software production experience
? 2+ years experience with AWS and server-side development
• Deep expertise in at least one, or familiarity with two or more of: PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, MongoDB, Firebase
• Strong understanding of good REST API design (experience with GraphQL a plus)
• Strong understanding of architecture principles for building modular, maintainable, and performant web applications
• Strong understanding of best practices in version control, specifically Git
• Familiar with formal project management concepts
• At least one year as an entrepreneur (in any industry, tech is a plus) or at a consultant agency
• Located within the Raleigh-Durham, NC region
Additional Salary Information: Company pays employee health, dental, vision, accident, life, and long and short-term disability benenfits.
About CrossComm, Inc.
Founded in 1998, CrossComm is an award-winning mobile and web app consultancy with nearly two decades of experience and expertise in discovering tech trends and finding useful applications of those technologies for our clients. We were building websites for clients since Netscape 1, building iPhone apps since iTunes App Store Day 1, and we're currently pioneering app opportunities in Virtual and Augmented Reality. We help our clients achieve their digital aspirations today by offering custom software development services for iOS, Android, web, and VR/AR platforms.
CrossComm offers a flexible work environment and a large amount of autonomy to its staff as a measure of trust in its team. Downtown parking is paid by the company, and there is free coffee and a vibrant work environment offered by Durham’s American Underground. Most of all, CrossComm has a warm, friendly team – which makes for an awesome work environment. We offer competitive salaries to ensure you do not concentrate on pay each day and motivate our team members by promoting autonomy, mastery, and purpose in each of our roles. We also offer a very generous profit sharing program that will help you take part in our successes.