SUMMARY: This optical Engineer position requires strong optical component design ability. He/She will be needed to support all areas of R&D/Engineering including process development, material and Quality in maintaining a consistent flow of product to stated requirements. Responsibilities cover the spectrum from external part fabrication through final product packaging.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Solid understanding of math and physics, proficiency with optical design and analysis tools, familiarity with scientific equipment, problem-solving skills, manual dexterity
2. Characterize fiber laser components and systems.
3. Conduct reliability testing and qualification of fiber laser components and systems.
4. Perform optical tests and measurements, using equipment such as optical spectrum analyzers (OSAs), oscilloscopes, power meters, M2 test set and beam profilers.
5. Conduct technical interactions with optical/electrical/mechanical component vendors.
6. Interact and work closely with R&D and Manufacturing departments, as well as other cross functional teams.
7. Design and conduct experiments and perform detailed data analysis.
8. Develop and maintain detailed engineering documentation such as qualification plans, validation reports, component specifications/drawings, RMA reports, Test procedures and work instructions.
9. Coordinate with production personnel during manufacturing transfer and provide technical support.
10. Perform hands on troubleshooting of fiber lasers and optical components
11. Support production logistically and technically on a daily basis
12. Support purchasing/external suppliers technically on an as needed basis and vendor audits
13. Evaluate new product designs, design changes from DFM/DFA, and cost impacts
14. Develop and design tooling and fixturing for product build/test/handling
15. Work with development engineering team on cost reduction
16. Internally, a close working relationship with all levels of personnel from all departments is necessary
17. The ability to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously with good control and completion
18. Maintaining completeness on projects with very aggressive schedules
19. Maintaining in-depth knowledge across wide spectrum of fiber laser manufacturing and fabrication fields
20. New product introduction and transfer of technologies
21. Create and maintain a working procedures for manufacturing cells
22. Ability to evaluate and improve manufacturing processes and product performance.
23. Develops and implements a smooth process flow utilizing the AX
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Concurrent Engineering/Physicist background
Strong Manufacturing and optical Engineering Background
Strong communication, interpersonal, and related skills
Strong computer skills, Mat lab and Zemax ability and ERP system background.
Strong Optical and electro/mechanical experience, laser background preferred
Knowledge and hands on experience in the area of fiber optic components
Lean manufacturing experience (5S, value stream mapping, Kaizen)
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
MSc or PhD in related field, or BSc and 3+ years of experience
Knowledge of high power fiber lasers, optics, optical alignment, and assembly techniques is also a plus
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner both orally and in writing.
Strong organizational skills with superior attention to detail.
Enthusiastic with willingness to learn and share ideas.
Desire to work in a dynamic and fast paced manufacturing environment and adapt to change.
Must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently.
Candidate must be a US Citizen due to controlled technology protocol.
About Convergent Photonics
Convergent Photonics is the laser division of Prima Industrie Group, company listed in the STAR segment on the Italian Stock Exchange. Convergent Photonics is a contract laser and diode laser manufacturing company based in Chicopee, MA that manufactures and sells industrial-grade high power laser systems.