Grand Valley Power is located in Western Colorado and is a community-focused distribution cooperative that serves the Grand Valley as well as Glade Park, Whitewater, Gateway, Collbran, and Mesa. Our mission is Empowering Lives with Hometown Service.
Grand Valley Power is headquartered in Grand Junction, Colorado, and is just a short drive from the Grand Mesa, Colorado National Monument, andPowderhorn Ski Area. There is no other place in Colorado where you experience the intersection of so many prized ecosystems - mountains, rivers, lakes, deserts, vineyards, and canyons. The Grand Valley is an outdoor nexus.
Responsible for the design of the electric system to ensure safe and reliable service to the cooperative members. Duties include engineering of transmission & distribution, system protection studies, system planning, consultant contract management, and operational support.
Please submit a resume & cover letter to apply.
BENEFIT PACKAGE INCLUDES:
• Medical Insurance • Employer contribution to Health Savings Account • Defined Benefit Program • Employer 401k Contribution • PTO • Life Insurance/Long Term Disability
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Responsible for the design of the facilities for adequate strength and electrical capacity for the existing and future electric system.
• Designs overhead and underground facilities economically with an emphasis on service reliability, voltage levels, and system operation.
• Reviews and develops design standards for transmission and distribution system facilities.
• Utilizes, develops, and applies engineering software for system planning, voltage drop studies, short-circuit analysis, arc-flash studies, and power quality investigation.
• Completes distributed generation interconnection studies for existing and proposed facilities.
• Performs studies to maintain coordination of system overcurrent protective devices and application of equipment and design standards.
• Participates in project scoping, comparison of alternatives, and development of priorities for annual construction budget.
• Assists with the development of design standards and equipment specifications for the Cooperative’s transmission & distribution facilities, SCADA system, and AMI system.
• Directs the efforts of consulting firms as needed.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provides technical assistance for engineering and operating system problems on a day-to-day basis with an emphasis on system integrity and reliability.
• Shares “Supervisor on-call” duties in rotation with other management-level employees.
• Occasionally makes presentations to the Board of Directors and Cooperative staff.
• Participates in and supports cooperative activities as required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of RUS construction units and specifications, National Electric Safety Code, National Electric Code, and governmental standards/requirements.
• Knowledge of the Cooperative’s policies, rates, tariffs, rules, regulations, and line extension policy.
• Ability to work independently based on general and specific direction, project task assignments, and departments’ priorities. Day to day work is self-initiated and self-directed.
• A willingness to pursue registration as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
Education and/or experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university; power emphasis is preferred.
• Minimum of three years of electrical power engineering experience.
Licensure and/or certifications:
Must possess a valid driver’s license. Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado strongly preferred.
Material and equipment directly used:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office applications, NISC software suite, Windmil/LightTable engineering analysis software, GIS, AMI, and SCADA systems.
About Grand Valley Power
Organized in 1936, Grand Valley Power is the first organized rural electric cooperative in Colorado. Serving over 18,000 customers within the Mesa County area, we are dedicated to empowering lives with hometown service.