Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, AEPONYX is the market leader in MEMS-based Silicon Photonics. With our patented technologies, combining planar Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems (MEMS) and Silicon Photonics, we are building the fastest, most affordable and smallest micro optical switches for use in desegregated switching systems and tunable transceivers. Join the dynamic fabless semiconductor start-up to design and manufacture the optical chips needed for the next generation of fiber optic access to the cloud.
Based in our Montreal office downtown Montreal, the successful candidate will work closely with our academic and industrial collaborators to develop and improve custom processes and products. The candidate will mainly work in our central office (Montreal area) or in the Eastern Township area (Bromont) but will also have to travel to other facilities (Québec/Ontario), and manufacturers (outside Canada).
• Review and simulate both active and passive photonic devices, as well as de-embedding design parameters experimentally
• Provide the mechanical expertise of a multidisciplinary development team consisting of optical, Silicon Photonics, IC, reliability, manufacturing/process and test engineering, to design modules and micro/optoelectronic packaging solutions to meet product requirements
• Design mechanical aspects of microelectronic packages & modules, integrating elements of mechanical, thermal, reliability, microelectronic packaging/module integration, manufacturing, test and electrical
• Generate product documentation, including, custom part drawings, assembly drawings, engineering Bill of Materials, common feature drawings and process flows
• Hold and participate in design reviews
• Define specifications/requirements for outsourced custom components and coordinate/interface with manufacturers/suppliers
• Perform engineering, product verification to ensure compliance with requirements
• Perform engineering analyses, including: Thermal (conductive and convective types), mechanical stress due to CTE mismatch and statistical tolerance
• Any other task associated with the development of the start-up.
Looking for a fulfilling job and an opportunity to develop a new way to fabricate optical chips?
We want you in our dynamic team!
Background and experience:
• Elements of RF/Optical package and module design
• Micro optical assemblies, fiber optic processes, optoelectronic technologies, related materials, solders, adhesives, related components and manufacturing methods
• Comprehensive tolerance analysis and simulation using knowledge of assembly, component and processing variances
• Industry standard qualification and reliability requirements (MIL-Spec, Telcordia)
• Design and modeling techniques using analytical and FEM tools (e.g. ANSYS) and CAD tools (preferably Solid works)
• End to end product development and manufacturing implementation of fiber optic components
• Micro-optic/electronic assembly technologies such as pick and place, die bonding, various flip chip process, wire bonding, lens/fiber/optics alignment, laser welding, glass sealing, UV curing and all associated tooling
• Basic electronic circuit layout
The ideal candidate has a relevant engineering degree with multi-year relevant experience in a product development environment.
The candidate must be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing. The knowledge of French is an asset.
Entry Date: As soon as possible.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Undisclosed
Internal Number: 20190225-AEP-01
About AEPONYX inc.
AEPONYX is a fabless micro optical switch semiconductor chips designer and manufacturer. AEPONYX chips are targeted at fiber optic access to the Cloud and optical switching in the Cloud.
With its patented and patent pending technologies, combining planar Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems (MEMS) and Silicon Photonics, AEPONYX is building the fastest, most affordable and smallest micro optical switches for use in disaggregated switching systems and enabling tunability in both transmission & reception in pluggable transceivers.
By combining Silicon Photonics with MEMS, AEPONYX is creating a unique platform that can support the next generation of optical communications.
AEPONYX’s micro optical switches are 100x faster, 10x cheaper and 10x smaller than the 3D MEMS used in commercial products within data centers and by telecom service providers.
Their speed and cost point open the door to several new applications for equipment manufacturers within fiber optic access networks, mobile networks, data centers and high performance computing.
Moreover, since optical switching can significantly reduce both power consumption as well as latency, equipment manufacturers, telecom and ...data center network operators have the opportunity to use optical switching to not only reduce their environmental footprint, but also to improve their services differentiation.
AEPONYX will be the market leader in MEMS-based Silicon Photonics