Image Sensing and Pattern Recognition (IR), Imaging Optical Design (FD), Integrated Optics (PI), Laser Systems (PL), Photonic Detection (PD)
Years of Experience:
Areté Associates, an employee-owned company, is a growing research and development firm recognized for contributing to national security objectives by supplying innovative solutions to challenging technical problems faced by the United States. Our Longmont, CO office has an immediate opening for a Engineer, Optical Systems. This is an exempt non-supervisory full-time position.
Designs, models, analyzes, and tests optical, electro-optical, and opto-mechanical systems and components, including sensors, lasers, fiber-optics, and telecommunications products. Conducts research and development into phases of physical optics and geometric optics, lasers, laser characteristics, laser maintenance, and broadband optical sources. Applies research of complex optical systems to achieve desired optical outcomes. Develops component specifications, tolerances, simulations and tests procedures.
• Optical design and design refinement for custom scientific lasers and optical systems
• Develop laser and optical system specifications
• Work with manufacturing and engineering staff to support design
• Assemble, align and test lasers and optical system systems
• Develop alignment and laser assembly techniques and procedures
• Document designs, procedures, and performance
• Refine designs and processes for manufacturability
• Designs optical fixturing and tests to support laser alignment, construction and performance verification
• Inspects optical component and systems.
• Conducts precision component cleaning including vacuum bake and ultrasonic cleaning.
• Operates and conducts minor repairs on of laser electronics (including high-current and high-voltage systems).
• Preparation of technical briefings.
• Participates in design reviews and maintains documentation of resulting system design.
• Prepares electrical and optical hardware for demonstrations and experiments.
• Plans and executes field tests and demonstrations of prototype hardware
• Additional duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
Typical Education Experience: MS + 5years experience / Ph.D. in one of the following areas: Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or Chemistry.
A qualified candidate should have the following attributes:
Intellectual curiosity and desire for continuous learning
Skilled and innovative problem solver
Works well independently and as part of a team
Strong work ethic
Comfortable in adapting to support a wide variety of roles to support different types of laser and lidar system development projects.
Proficient use of standard MS Office software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Proficient in use of standard electrical and optical test equipment operation (e.g. oscilloscopes, signal generators, laser sources, spectrometers, detectors, etc.).
Proficient in optical assembly techniques, including use of UV cure epoxies.
Proficient in using Zemax or other appropriate optical design tools
Proficiency with Matlab or Python is preferred, but not required
Possesses understanding of commonly used techniques and associated components (e.g. Q-switching, modelocking, harmonic generation, cavity dumping)
Possesses basic understanding of optical detectors and radiometry
Capable of developing simple calculations or models to support optical designs
Independently Performs research of available literature to fill in knowledge gaps as needed
Additional Salary Information: Great Benefits Offered
About Arete Associates
Areté Associates, an employee-owned company, is a growing research and development firm recognized for contributing to national security objectives by supplying innovative solutions to challenging technical problems faced by the United States.