In this role be part of a team that builds American made, state-of-the-art optics products that truly outperform and outlast anything the competition can offer. You’ll provide your technical expertise as you work with other Leupold & Stevens Engineers to design, implement and test innovative optical components and systems.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Developing new optical prescription for riflescopes, binoculars, monoculars, spotting scopes, laser rangefinders, as well as integrations with new and existing technologies.
Conducting research and proof of concept generation for innovative solutions to complex problems in optical design, opto-mechanical assembly, and alignment and testing of optical components and systems.
Creating and maintaining optical system layout drawings and associated documentation.
Presenting design reviews and technical knowledge to engineering disciplines.
Directing vendor contract design and evaluation projects. Performing external costing for proposed projects and conducting on-going external project oversight.
Reviewing project specifications to ascertain objectives, nature of technical problems, and possible solutions, such as part design/redesign, selections/substitution of materials, parts or subassemblies.
Responsible for reticle subtension calculations, drawing generation and maintenance of documentation.
Assessing and approving the manufacturability of systems through sensitivity/tolerance analysis and other applicable means.
Evaluating and recommending improvements to optical designs for sourced products.
Setting up and conducting tests of complete systems or subsystems to evaluate system performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development and standardization. Analyzing indicated and calculated test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives.
Providing internal consulting and development expertise to other Company areas.
Developing and maintaining strategic relationships with vendors and technology leaders to support the advancement of the Company’s goals and product development.
Staying informed concerning new optical/opto-mechanical technology and equipment and investigates their potential applications. Recommending incorporation of new technology for Company applications where feasible and practical.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the Company’s policy to recruit and select the most qualified candidate for any job openings. Our selection and promotion decisions are made on factors such as demonstrated ability, experience and training without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
* With our commitment to make our application process and workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities, we will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for an individual applicant to participate in the job application process. To request an accommodation to the application process, please send an email to HRDept@Leupold.com or call (503) 646-9171 and a Leupold & Stevens representative will contact you.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a drug free workplace. All final candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. complies with all applicable FAR & DFAR regulations.
* We hire U.S. citizens and persons lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. All new employees must complete an INS Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) and be able to provide verification of their status as a Non-Foreign person as defined by International Traffic in Arms Regulations, Section 120.14- 120.16.
Skills and Experience You’ll Need:
Requires a Bachelor’s of Science degree (B.S.) in physics, laser, or optical engineering and a minimum of 5 years’ experience as applied to the design of moderately complex optical and opto-mechanical systems, and manufacturing techniques and implementation. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Demonstrated excellence in scientific and engineering methodologies, design of experiment skills in solving complex systems optimization problems, basic optical systems design, and knowledge of related disciplines and processes.
Must have Zemax, Oslo, Code V or equivalent optical design software experience; possess a natural curiosity and acumen for innovation and excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills. Zemax software must be used for company projects in order to effectively communicate ideas and designs to others within the company.
Ability to design optical systems using state of the art engineering tools and techniques, develop documentation procedures and systems and direct others.
Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical information in mathematical form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to write reports and effectively present information and respond to questions from managers as well as technical and non-technical professionals.
Internal Number: 18-044
About Leupold & Stevens
Leupold & Stevens
For over 100 years, we’ve manufactured innovative, battle-proven optics products for the world’s most relentless hunters, shooters, law enforcement and military professionals. We design, build and test our best-in-class products with a single minded focus - to make sure they’ll perform forever.
At Leupold and Stevens we’re American to the Core and passionate about what we do. We offer a friendly work environment where innovation, quality, and continuous improvement are our priorities, and where your ideas matter. Our benefits package is amazing – affordable health and dental insurance, a strong commitment to training and professional development including an internal skills development program for all manufacturing team members, a generous tuition reimbursement program, company contributions up to 8% of base pay into a 401K retirement account, profit sharing, and product discounts to name a few.