Director, UNM Center for High Technology Materials
The University of New Mexico (UNM) is currently seeking a dynamic, innovative, results-oriented, and proven leader for the position of Director of the Center for High Technology Materials (CHTM), one of UNM's premier strategic research centers. The selected candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Research (VPR), and will be a tenured faculty member of the College of Arts and Sciences or School of Engineering.
CHTM is an internationally recognized center of excellence in photonics and microelectronics with a global reputation for inventing disruptive nanoscale technologies. It is a highly advanced interdisciplinary science and engineering research organization with capabilities in nanoscale synthesis, fabrication, characterization, prototyping and manufacturing as well as theory, modeling and simulation matched by few universities. CHTM boasts a creative and entrepreneurial faculty from the UNM Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry and Chemical Biology, and Chemical and Biological Engineering, who are actively engaged in interdisciplinary graduate programs such as Optical Science and Engineering, Nanoscience and Microsystems and Biomedical Engineering. To facilitate and execute research and superb educational opportunities in opto-electronics, optics, materials science, and microelectronics, CHTM occupies a state-of-the-art, 60,000 sq.ft. primary facility, which includes a fully equipped 3,500 sq.ft. class 1000/100 cleanroom, and several satellite and affiliated facilities. CHTM provides outstanding scientific and technical expertise and cutting edge instrumentation and facilities to its partners and collaborators at UNM, the Air Force Research Laboratory, private industry, and Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories, including the Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies. It also has a stellar record of technology commercialization and promotion of economic development within New Mexico. For a full description of CHTM and its activities, please visit http://www.chtm.unm.edu.
The University of New Mexico is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, and is fone of three such universities that also is a Hispanic Serving Institution. UNM's eleven colleges and schools serve a diverse student population of over 27,000 at its main campus in Albuquerque. As such, UNM provides an excellent environment for full service, research-university education and a unique demographic of superbly trained researchers to our nation.
The successful candidate will:
- Prepare and implement a strategic vision and plan for CHTM
- Enhance CHTM's portfolio of external funding by facilitating and catalyzing the acquisition of grants and contracts awarded to the CHTM faculty and oversee the staff that ensures proper and efficient administration and execution of those grants and contracts as well as unfunded research
- Supervise CHTM's staff, projects and activities
- Fully integrate CHTM's research mission with graduate and undergraduate educational programs across UNM
- Establish active collaborative research partnerships both within the University (with other departments, centers and institutes) and with strategic partners outside the university (e.g., national laboratories, corporations)
- Prepare, oversee and serve as responsible agent for CHTM budget
- Provide regular operational and planning reports to the VPR (monthly) and internal and external advisory boards (biannually and yearly, respectively)
- Establish a vibrant and well-funded collaborative research enterprise
For complete details of this position, please visit http://chtmdirectorsearch.unm.edu. To apply, please visit: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ and reference REQ496.
Best consideration for applications: August 1, 2017
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator.